By: Charlie Martin, founder, engagementtoolbox.com
If you find yourself needing to expand to multiple locations to grow your business there are a few things to consider and assure that you get right. Before you can go to multiple locations you must do at least the following:
- Clarify all of your processes, procedures, systems etc. for your single location before you try to go to additional locations.
- Assure that you have performance feedback systems in place between the remote and local location and that they are clear and easy to use.
- Establish clear communication processes between the central and remote locations.
- Establish clarity with the remote management teams that they are at least as important as the people in the initial location (corporate office perhaps).
- Clarify reporting and accountability structures, who reports to who for what.
- Clarify the goals for the remote locations and how they relate to the overall goals.
- Put your best people in your first remote location.
- Clarify what type people you need in your local locations and have a process in place to find them.
- If you are the senior leader never loser touch with the leaders of the remote locations.
If you get at least these things in place correctly and create the right mindset with your management team you have a good shot at success. Always give your remote locations the tools and support that they need.
About the Author:
Charlie Martin is the Founder and Head Coach of engagementtoolbox (http://.www.engagementtoolbox.com) Charlie is the author of The Tools of Engagement, a Professional Certified Coach (PCC) certified by the International Coach Federation and a seasoned leader with over 35 years of experience in a variety of senior level positions in a variety of industries. He can be reached at Charlie@engagementtoolbox.com